Full course description
Learn Excel basics
Develop basic Excel skills quickly in this online Excel tutorial. This self-paced course will help you develop new Microsoft Excel skills that you can use for personal or business data and information. In this online Excel course, you'll learn to start a new Excel worksheet, add a table, and change cell format, including width of columns and rows. You will also learn how to flash fill information and use the AutoSum feature.
Why learn how to use Microsoft Excel?
Excel is a versatile workspace that not only helps you organize information, but it can help you to see data differently and better understand the data you have. Thanks to the functions, flexible organizational structure and settings within Excel, you can create worksheets of information that automatically calculate numbers, automatically populates data, or verifies whether entered data is accurate, saving you time. Start learning how to use Excel today and understand how the program can be used for all manner of information
What you'll learn in this Excel tutorial:
This Microsoft Excel tutorial will teach you how to create an Excel spreadsheet and start creating and filling in the cells of your spreadsheet. The skills you will develop include:
- Create a new Excel workbook; a workbook is an entire file of data in Excel, including the tabs within your series of spreadsheets. Learn to create a file, or workbook, within Excel.
- Add data to a table; learn how to populate the fields within Excel with the information you need to organize.
- Apply table styles; Format the data within your table or Excel spreadsheet, so that you can easily read the contents within the columns and rows.
- Apply cell styles; Excel styles go well beyond the test size and format. Use formatting in Excel to verify your data within your workbook.
- Change cell format; alter the format for your rows and columns to ensure data displays accurately for each cell, like formatting your dates so they all appear in the same format, or to ensure that monetary values place the decimal in the correct place.
- Add, delete, and move columns and rows; rearrange your table to add space and move sets of data to the correct position.
- Change width of columns and rows; format the layout of your workbook to fit all the information you need to place in each cell.
- Use Flash Fill; In Excel, Flash Fill is a tool that helps you automate the entry of data into your workbook based off patterns within the data you've already entered. Use Flash Fill to save time and energy when creating your workbook!
- Use AutoSum button; AutoSum will save you time entering numerical data into a calculator. Instead of typing the data into a separate program, use AutoSum to automatically tally information you've included in your workbook!
Who Excel basics is for:
This online Excel course caters to anyone seeking to start using Microsoft Excel for business or personal data as a beginner or as someone who is unfamiliar in how to format a Microsoft Word document
Earn a certificate in Excel basics:
When you complete this Excel tutorial, you will not only receive skills that will help you to create an Excel workbook, you will also receive a certificate to signify your new basic Excel skills.
Meet the instructor
Brent Scholar, PhD
Dr. Brent Scholar is an Instructor in the Faculty of Leadership and Interdisciplinary Studies at ASU. He is an experienced higher education professional. He is also the principal of Scholar Consulting since 2009, providing international leadership consulting and training for both nonprofit and for profit organizations.