Skip To Content
Course

Human Trafficking Awareness in Healthcare

Self-paced

Sorry! The enrollment period is currently closed. Please check back soon.

Full course description

Start:

Anytime

Duration:

4 hours

Location:

Online

Price:

$99

What you'll learn:

Participants will learn what to look for, compare and contrast assessments that exist, the basics of trauma informed care as it relates to human trafficking, and what actions to take in varying scenarios.

What you'll do:

• Identify risk factors and red flags of possible victims.
  • Understand who the buyers and sellers of trafficking victims are.
  • Learn the key terminology associated with human trafficking.
  • Strategize around individual action.
  • Participate in interactive case studies.

Who this course is designed for:

The intended learners are Healthcare Workers in hospital, education and clinical settings.

Meet the instructor

Samantha Calvin, PhD(c), MHI, MBA - Instructor

I began my post-secondary education when I was 15 at my local community college where I was able to earn my Associate's in Science. Then, I finished my undergrad at the University of Minnesota (Go Gophers!) - and received my Bachelor's in Health Sciences with a minor in Spanish

During my undergrad, I also worked full-time for Mayo Clinic in the Endocrinology, Diabetes, and Nutrition research department. I deployed large interventions in obesity prevention and management.

I applied and got into medical school, but realized in my time working for Mayo Clinic that I loved community-based research and public health. So when my boss asked me to move to Arizona to manage an initiative between Mayo Clinic and ASU called Obesity Solutions - and I said "yes!" I completed my first master's degree in Healthcare Innovation during this time, and also started my PhD in Healthcare Innovation.

I realized I wanted to know more about the "business" side of healthcare, so I got a MBA as well (apparently, I can't stop going to school).

In my free time I volunteer in the Phoenix-metro community, train for half marathons and triathlons, try new recipes, travel (I always have a plain ticket booked), and attend lots of live concerts and sporting events.

My specific area of research currently is sex trafficking, which brings me to this course. I have been studying the topic of human trafficking now for 7 years. I have had the privilege to work with survivors and victims, conduct research, teach courses on the topic to undergrad, grad, and community members alike, and more. I believe that everyone needs to have a basic understanding of this critical community issue, and this course is the start to that!