Full course description
What you'll learn:
- Explore strategies for creating Digital Stories.
- Offer constructive feedback and insight to colleagues on their Digital Storytelling project.
- Reflect on your own prior or planned experience with Digital Storytelling.
- Expand and adapt existing Digital Storytelling assets.
After completing the Digital Storytelling Studio microcredit course, you will be able to:
- Bolster the textual narrative with intentional, inclusive, and representative media.
- Apply new insight and pathways to refine your own Digital Storytelling experience for future or adapted use.
- Evaluate peer's Digital Storytelling strategies looking for strengths and points of improvement or expansion.
- Leverage experience and feedback with the technical elements of producing a digital story to enhance production.
What you'll do:
- Watch several curated resource videos on Digital Storytelling.
- Upload your Digital Story project idea, plan, or existing projects for review.
- Offer feedback on a colleague's project or concept.
- Complete the Final Assignment submission.
- Read and explore several curated resources.
Who this course is designed for:
All educators - administrators, educational developers, early education through high school classroom teachers, informal educators, and education job seekers or career changers toward the field of education.
What you'll receive:
Upon fulfilling course requirements, participants will receive a certificate indicating 5 recertification hours from Arizona State University.
Meet the instructors
Dr. Annie Hale - Director, Research and Development Pathfinder Center, Biodesign Institute. Senior Sustainability Scientist, Global Institute of Sustainability and Innovation. Faculty Associate, School of Sustainability, College of Global Futures
Dr. Hale's work combines the fields of science and technology studies, sustainability, and design from a human-centered approach. Her research interests focus on the question: How do people construct and understand the world around them, and, in turn, how do those constructs change the way people engage with their world? She directs a variety of educational programs that target sustainability and 21st-century learning that aim to inspire, engage, and empower a variety of publics, from educators to community leaders, through elegantly designed experiences. Dr. Hale is a learning design expert weaving in best pedological practices for online, hybrid, flipped, and face-to-face learning experiences. With a background in design. Dr. Hale creates experiences that are simple, smart, and well-conceived.
Dr. Leanna Archambault - Associate Professor, Learning Design and Technology, Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College Program Coordinator, Learning Design and Technology M.Ed.
Dr. Leanna Archambault is an Associate Professor of Learning Design and Technology within the Mary Lou Fulton Teachers College at Arizona State University. Her research areas include teacher preparation for K-12 online and blended classrooms, the use of innovative technologies to improve learning outcomes, and sustainability literacy for preservice and in-service teachers.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Digital Storytelling?
Simply put, it is a concise, well-thought-out video created or edited by you or your students. The video aims to tell a visually impactful narrative along with factual and accurate information to enhance a student's learning experience. It can supplement or augment other types of learning materials. Digital stories lay the foundation for a rich learning experience through narrative, images, audio, music, and text.
Is this an introductory class?
No, this Studio space is for those educators who already have working ideas they wish to flesh out, or previously used and tested videos and related lessons, activities, or projects they wish to refine and improve. Each educator will get to ask questions from their peers and answer other's questions too! The course uses an easy technology platform called Flipgrid as a way to get you set up and on your way to making connections and gaining insights that will enrich your Digital Storytelling journey.
Will you provide detailed resources for continued exploration and examples?
Yes. We include access to more than 100 high-quality freely available curated resources by our team of experts to explore, refine, and think through how to develop or update your digital storytelling efforts. These resources explore the use of technology, best practices for project ideation, and justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion practices. Everything needed for a comprehensive understanding of digital storytelling efforts is shared in this Studio course.